WALTHAM, Mass.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Quantia, Inc.—the platform for Physician Engagement—today announced key findings from its new report, “Reading the Signs: A Roadmap for Increasing Physician Engagement in the Biosimilars Market.” The report examines healthcare professionals’ awareness of biosimilar drugs, potential barriers to adoption, and opportunities to provide education that may drive prescribing decisions.
Key findings from this report include:
- 94% of physician respondents believe biosimilars will provide value to healthcare
- Top value cited is “lower costs to patients/the health system” (35%), followed by “greater patient access to therapies” (30%) and “increased choice among prescribing options” (27%)
- Only 17% of prescribing specialists (those who see patients with conditions commonly treated with biologics) report they would be “very likely” to prescribe biosimilars to eligible patients
- Main concerns include safety/efficacy, drug substitution regulations, and accurate evaluation of when to prescribe a biosimilar vs. branded therapy
- Specialty societies were prescribing specialists’ most trusted source of information about biosimilars (25%), followed by peers (19%) and key opinion leaders (18%)
- 80% of prescribing specialists say they would want to learn about biosimilars through expert-led digital content
“The survey findings confirm that many physicians already recognize the potential clinical value and cost savings that biosimilars represent, and many are hopeful that these therapies will soon be viable for their patient populations. The challenge is offering the education and support, through the appropriate channels, that will reach the physicians who need it most and transform this general awareness into action,” said Dan Malloy, Executive Vice President of Quantia. “These findings—combined with our experience engaging physicians in medically relevant content—offer a roadmap that pharmaceutical companies can put into place to quickly and cost-effectively capitalize on this opportunity.”
Download the full report here: http://info.quantia-inc.com/biosimilars.
Leveraging its online community QuantiaMD, which includes more than 225,000 U.S. physicians, Quantia surveyed nearly 300 physicians on the topic of biosimilar therapies in March of 2015.
Survey respondents included Primary Care Physicians and Specialists in the therapeutic areas where biosimilars are currently most concentrated– such as endocrinologists, gastroenterologists, hematologists, oncologists, nephrologists, and rheumatologists.
Responses were analyzed across PCPs and prescribing specialists, as well as across organized systems such as Integrated Delivery Networks/Integrated Health Networks, Independent Practice Associations, Physician Hospital Organizations, and independent/private or group practice.
About Quantia, Inc.
Quantia is on a mission to nurture the wisdom of the physician community – and tap into it to deliver better care. Every day, our membership of over 225,000 physicians (about 1 in 3 nationwide) visits the award-winning web and mobile community QuantiaMD to learn from top experts and collaborate on a wide range of topics. Our blend of expert-led content, gamification, and social framework creates an environment physicians want to explore, serving up high quality interactions that inspire change. Health systems and life sciences organizations use this platform to boost engagement among physicians, improving performance and delivering higher quality, more consistent care. Learn more at www.quantia-inc.com.